Sunday 20 October 2019

Game Vision Statement

Introduction:
The game I will be creating is a mystery game. The player is a detective who has just been assigned a case and has to solve it by collecting clues from various locations until they have gathered all or enough to find the criminal. I've yet to come up with a name for the game and what the case will be about.

Genre:
The genre of the game will be mystery and kind of adventure.

Gameplay:
As mentioned before the player is a detective, assigned a case. They will have to go to multiple scenes,investigate them and collect clues that will lead them to find the culprit. A timer will be added in the locations where the player has to search for clues. The clues found will be stored in an inventory. The character will be controlled using the arrow keys.

Resources Required:
To create the game, I plan on using Unity on a PC. I will be following Youtube Unity tutorials to help create the game as I'm still new to using Unity and haven't fully gotten the hang of it yet.

Inspiration:
My game is inspired by games such as "The Wolf Among Us" and the "Danganronpa" game series, mainly in the sense that these games are mystery, detective-type games and require you to go around investigating different environments to collect things/clues that help you later on in the game. However, my game won't have any/much dialogue and won't have a really long and detailed storyline like the 2 games mentioned.




5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,

    I really like the concept of your game! The idea of investigating the surroundings and collecting evidence to catch the criminal sounds fun gameplay wise, and though I've never played The Wolf Among Us or the Danganronpa series it somewhat reminds me of the character Connor's role from Detroit: Become Human.

    One question I have in regards to this game is: will there be some sort of story to the case? I know you said that your game won't have much dialogue or plot elements, but I feel that having some sort of story for the case and what the criminal did will help drive player motivation and add more depth to the game.

    A suggestion I would make for your game idea would be to include clues and evidence that actually isn't related to the case to throw the player off. I feel that currently your game's only challenge is to run around and collect all the items in the time given, and that it would benefit from more difficulty added. Perhaps if the player collects too many unrelated items it would trigger a game over, and it would make the player have to think about the case and what items they feel would be relevant to the case before picking them up.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the development of your game!

    - Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    I have watched entire playthroughs of "Danganronpa" and really loved it so I can see what kind of approach you are taking with this project.

    I would highly recommend that you focus not on the gameplay but on the story itself. I have seen some examples of puzzle/detective games where because the story fell flat, the detective mechanic becomes uninteresting.
    For some interesting use of story and detective mechanics, I would recommend the "Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney" series. It is about lawyers but the detective aspect is still there. Great story, plot twists and characters can really make your game great.

    Hope you find my advice helpful.
    Have a nice day!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amanda, I have never played Wolf Among of Us myself or heard of it till now. I might consider looking into it myself in my free time at some point. I have played Danganronpa and I agree with you, I am doubtful that adding the quantity of dialogue featured in that game is a wise decision for the final game. I don't personally agree with a timer system to find the clues. My argument for this is that every player has their own ways of playing these game at a specific pace and I feel a timer is going to cause unneeded stress for those who don't necessarily catch onto some of the potentially more subtle clues hidden in the game especially if finding them is crucial for progress in the game. However I do ultimately really enjoy what you have done for yourself and the kind of game you have put forward. I hop the Unity tutorials for the detective game go well and you can find what you need there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Amanda!
    I think the idea for your game is really good! There aren't many other detective games so it's a refreshing thing to see. If I were you I'd take a look at LA Noire, it's a detective game made by Rockstar (they also made the Grand Theft Auto series). Maybe you could borrow some ideas from them.
    I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    -Pawel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amanda,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog about your game it was really interesting I have never played the wolf among us or Danganronpa but they sound really interesting I like the idea that they have to collect different clues to catch the culprit it seems like you have your game planned out anyway I will leave it there hope to read more from you soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete